Unlocking Disney’s It’s a Small World
It’s a small world is one of the most iconic and nostalgic attractions truly honoring all children all over the world..
“It’s a small world” was created for the 1964-1965 New York World’s Fair. Walt was asked by Pepsi Cola to create another exhibit for the fair for them. Believe it or not, it actually almost didn’t happen as a representative for Disney told Pepsi that 3 of the projects they were working on at the time, was enough. However, once Walt heard of this, he became so upset and stated, “Tell Pepsi we will do it!”
PEPSI-COLA Presents WALT DISNEY’S “It’s a Small World” – A Salute to UNICEF and all the World’s Children.
Personally overseen by Walt Disney in support of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the attraction was a huge hit. No expense was made during the process.
Some super fun facts about the attraction..
- The highly catchy tune inside the attraction was created by the infamous Sherman brothers. However, it did not start out well.. originally Walt Disney had wanted the children (the dolls) to sing the national anthem from each country but afterwards realized it was not harmonious. The theme song was changed for a more catchy tune..Walt really wanted something to connect with the children of the world and once the Sherman brothers created that special tune Walt said the usual “that’ll work” 🙂
- Walt brought in the infamous artist, Mary Blair to oversee design as he thought she had just the right style the attraction needed.
- Mary thought this project should look like as if the kids made a world through their own eyes.
- Walt announced via television that once it will have a “permanent home in Disney Land USA” eventually shipped back to Disneyland park, where it reopened on May 28, 1966.
- The opening ceremony was very special as Walt brought children all over the world dressed in their native costume. They also all brought vials of water from their countries and poured into the flume
In 1971, “it’s a small world” was recreated to become one of the Opening Day attractions at Walt Disney World Resort. Due to its immense popularity, the attraction has been replicated in every Disney Resort around the world and is considered a Walt Disney classic. -Source, Disney World official website.
Thanks For Listening
Hope you enjoyed this episode! We really love doing these shows. It’s so much fun for us and we hope you like them too . If you couldsubscribe in Itunes and give us an honest review that would be awesome.
Email us your question or suggestions for future episodes:Info@unlockingthemagic.com